Volunteerism and the Workplace
Summary: Finding time to set aside for volunteer work is challenging for many employees. Reconciling the high demands of the workplace (and the home) with volunteer activities can present quite a juggling act.
Many employers see their businesses as a 24/7 commitment-and Blackberries, PDAs, cell phones, and home computers make it more and more impossible to "leave" the office.
Here are a few issues and concerns you may want consider:
- Look for online volunteer projects you can do via a home or work computer; such as letter writing, teletutoring, grant research
- Reduce overtime
- Ask your HR department or manager about corporate-sponsored volunteer activities
- Consider designing a workplace volunteer program that's perfect for your company
Here are a few suggestions employees can explore with their employers:
- Discuss the potential opportunities and benefits that community involvement can bring to the company and its employees
- Offer release time for volunteer work
- Consider flexible work arrangements
- Find ways to coordinate employees' volunteer work by partnering with a nonprofit
- Recognize employees for their volunteer accomplishments and contributions
- Permit employees to occasionally communicate with their group by phone or e-mail while at the office
Something to Think About...
Volunteers gain a sense of pride and develop respect for others. Volunteerism creates an atmosphere of cooperation, productivity, dependability, motivation, and communication. Workplace volunteerism is an excellent team-building tool.
Safe Home Connections, a division of KidsTerrain, Inc. assists individuals with the option to age in place, that is, to live in one's home while having access to services and support as needs change.
To learn more about Safe Home Connections services and support, visit our web site or Contact our Certified Aging-In Place Specialist for more information.
Click Here to preview our FREE informational program --
Webinars -- A 21st Century Business Tool
Discover how this cost-effective technology can help your business or organization.
Interested in On-Site Training?
About Our Trainers
Interested in Internet-Based Webinar Programs? Webinars are multi-media programs that enable you to view a presentation, lecture, or seminar from the comfort of your office or home. Available 24/7 via the Internet, webinars are an effective alternative to on-site presentations.
Achieve Your Goals
Bullying In The Workplace
Finding Your Value: The Art Of Self-Promotion
Webinars in our library are just 15.00!